I had originally planned to use some oak log sections from the house for the dummy’s arms. However, when I rived out a blank and turned it to rough diameter, I found the wood to still be soaking wet. I didn’t want to wait six months or more for it to air dry, so I headed to the lumberyard.
I had to make the trip anyway. I needed some 4/4 hickory for the support slats, so I just killed two birds with one stone. While I was at it, I stumbled upon some curly maple that was perfect for the upcoming stepstool. All in all, a good day!
I skip-planed the oak to glue-ready smoothness and cut the pieces to rough size. You’ll notice that one piece is shorter than the others. That’s OK, they’re all oversize anyway. This was followed by glue-up.
Once out of the clamps, the blanks were trimmed to 22″ in length. This allows 11″ each for the arm and tenon. These were turned to 2 1/2″ diameter cylinders, and then one end was tapered to 1 1/2″ at the rounded tip.