What I Screwed Up This Week – December 29, 2010


Welcome back for another edition of What I Screwed Up This Week!  This week, we have a drawbore blowout that occurred while gluing up my Wing Chun practice dummy frame.

The Problem:

Drawbore BlowoutAs part of the design of my mortise-and-tenoned frame, I decided to incorporate drawbores to strengthen the joints.  While I was driving the pegs home, I used too much force and blew out the opposite side of the piece of wood.  Oops!

The Solution:

On a piece where appearance is important, the best solution is to drive the peg back through enough so that the blown-out section can be glued back in place.  This should ideally be done immediately, before the glue sets.  You could theoretically go back later and cut the peg off below the surface to perform the same operation, but this never seems to mate up as well as if you do it before glue dries anywhere.

Lesson Learned:

When cutting drawbore pegs, it’s a good idea to insert them in the hole they will occupy in the finished piece and mark their finished depth on the peg with a pencil.  This way, you have a visual reference mark that will warn you that it’s time to slow down with your vigorous pounding before something similar happens to you.  Also, it’s a good idea to have a large-diameter metal pin punch handy in case you have to undo your error.  This will allow you to drive the peg back easily to effect your repair if necessary.

Advertisements

One response to “What I Screwed Up This Week – December 29, 2010

  1. A Butterfly or Bowtie patch wood look good. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s