The back of the chair looks more complicated than it is. The basic frame is composed of two horizontal sides tied together with three crossbraces. You can see their locations from the screw holes on the sides in the photo above. The 45-degree cutoffs to the bottom corners allows the back to recline properly. Dimensions for it aren’t given in the plan, but I made it about half the width of the end, and it worked out about right.
The wide horizontal pieces frame in the ends of the vertical slats that make up the surface of the back. The only real trick of making the back is to position the two crossbraces that frame the open area so that these horizontal pieces only cover about half of the edge, leaving the other half to screw down the vertical slats. You can see in the photo above that the crossbrace on the left is peeking out from under the upper horizontal piece.
The five slats are quickly cut to length and spaced across the gap between the horizontal pieces. Once again, I made a quick jig to make this go easier. For this operation, I attached a couple of supports across the width of the jig to allow it to hang in the space between the slats. This time, I started from both sides and worked towards the center to keep the outer edges flush. Somehow, the center slat’s space ended up about 1/8 shy on either side, but I simply centered it in the opening, and no one (except you, dear readers) will be any the wiser. As they say in boatbuilding, “If it looks fair, it IS fair.”
I ran into a little problem with the vertical slats. As I indicated, they are simply screwed into the crossbraces at the end. The problem is that pine wants to “blow out” when you counterbore for the screws. If you look closely, you can see one such incident at the bottom of the leftmost vertical slat. Fortunately, this piece will be painted, so this won’t be as much of a problem, since it will all be plugged, filled and sanded anyway. Still, it’s vexing.
Of course, no matter how hard I tried, the slats didn’t line up perfectly with sides. This necessitated a bit of planing once everything was plugged and trimmed. Bo-Bo, one of the latest generation of Shop Helper Kitties, is a great help with this. Not only does she check my work for good flush edges, but she’s absolutely delighted with the thin wispy shavings my new Krenov smoother produces.
Next time, we’ll do the arms and adjustment mechanism, and do a temporary assembly to check everything prior to painting. Stay tuned!