Adding the floor was one of the simpler parts of the process. All of the boards had already been cut to length, so it was just a matter of layout.
I started by finding the center of the blanket chest, and placing the edge of one board adjacent to it. Then, with the board square across the opening and the bead facing down (remember, down is up here), the board was secured in place with one screw on each end. If the screws were the sole means of support for the bottom, I would have used two. However, the entire chest will be resting on a lip on the inside of the base which will provide the actual support, making one screw sufficient.
The most important thing was even spacing of the boards. Not only do the boards require a small gap for expansion and contraction, but the width of the space should give the appearance that the bead is centered between two equally-spaced gaps. After playing with various items, I found that 18-gauge brad nails were just about perfect. On reflection, I should have planned ahead when I made my scratch stock, and made sure the gap it created matched up perfectly with a spacer ahead of time.
In the end, when the chest was turned over, the spacing was fine. However, the groove didn’t provide the same shadow as the gap, giving a less-than-equal appearance. This surprised me, since they had looked much more equal when laid out on the table. I can only attribute this to the different way that light plays off the inside of the chest. It’s not a bad look, but not what I intended. The only consolation is that the bottom will be covered with blankets. That’s not much consolation to a woodworker, but it’s not worth doing over, so I’ll take what I can get.