Did you think I had run away? No such luck. The Mississippi summer heat rendered wood finishing nearly impossible in a non-climate-controlled shop. Sweat dripping on freshly-applied dye or shellac almost invariably results in a re-do of that step, so I had to find periods of cool to get this project (literally) finished. However, the end has finally come.
When we left off last time, the top had been routed, and everything was ready to be finished. Like most woodworkers, I’d rather be building than finishing, and painting ranks at the bottom of my list, somewhere behind a root canal. Nevertheless, the body of the blanket chest received a coat of primer, followed by two coats of Porter gloss white, which matches our interior house trim. You’ll recall that I pre-primed the panel bevels prior to assembly to prevent bare wood peep-out when (not if) the panels shrink. If the paint had been a different color, I would have applied a coat of that as well. Of course, you have the same problem later if you re-paint in a different color, but I digress.
Now it was time for the top, the only part that would really look like wood. Since the rest of our bedroom furniture is some variant of Golden Oak (I know, I know), I had decided to use the same color on the red oak top. For jobs like this, when the piece will be shaded from the sun, aniline dye is my hands-down coloring agent of choice. I used Trans-Tint’s Golden Brown, mixing 1/2 tablespoon to a cup of water. After two coats, the results didn’t seem very impressive:
Don’t worry, it gets better. Dyes, and wood in general, always look a bit drab prior to the addition of the topcoat. That’s when the magic happens. In this case, I applied five thin coats of Zinsser Bulls-Eye Shellac, and followed that with a rub-down with paste wax and steel wool to smooth things and remove a bit of the gloss. I generally prefer a more subdued sheen for most projects, and find that it stands up to wear a bit better.
Here’s the same wood with the shellac applied. Neat, eh? Like I said, Golden Oak isn’t my favorite, but it matches the rest of the furniture that my wife picked out. Need I say more?
One of the beauties of shellac is that it can be easily renewed by a light sanding and re-application of another coat over the top of the old. The alcohol allows the two layers to dissolve together, becoming homogeneous. This prevents the flaking that can occur when top-coating polyurethane. Of course, don’t spill your alcoholic drinks on it, or you’ve got a problem.
And now, the moment of truth. Here is the finished product in it’s intended home, at the foot of the master bed.
What do you think? It’s a little taller than my wife expected, being a bit high for her to sit on, and I reminded her that the height was to her specifications. Talk about an argument-settler! Besides, it’ll hold more. However, I think a slightly shorter design would have looked better in this location. The width and depth worked out well, leaving a good path between it and the dresser directly across the gap.
However, to my eye, the overall color scheme misses the mark – reminds me of a church pew. Of course, the paint can be easily changed if an alternative color scheme suggests itself. As for the top, while the color doesn’t match the bed very well, it’s a near-perfect match for the rest of the furniture. Also, it can be easily changed out at a later date to give the piece a different look – breadboard, frame-and-panel, stained, painted, you name it. The chest itself should be good for a century or two – I hope.
I also hope you’ve enjoyed this project. Blanket chests designs are a dime a dozen, but the point of this exercise was to design and build the piece from scratch to perfectly fit a particular application. If you have been encouraged to try your hand at your own designs, this project will have done its job.
More projects are in the wings, and things will speed back up as the weather cools down, so stay tuned!